Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Ware FC app


1st Team - Match centre

Hoddesdon Town
Ware FC
Full time
J Oyibo (114'), K Bishop (34', 81')
Tue 1 Dec 19:45 - Cup Attendance 149

Hoddesdon Town 2 Ware 3

Ware through to Herts Senior Cup quarter final after entertaining tussle.

There were fewer changes than might have been expected for this encounter with Ken Charlery giving debuts to Charlie Kuehn and Jack Mace whilst bringing Harley Haag in for his first start. Joe Simmonds was brought back into goal with Tom Coulton rested on the bench alongside Paul Cooper, Rod Young and Elliot Bailey whilst Josh Oyibo was also there after his return from injury. Neither Alaa Oujdi nor Ryan Maxwell were in the equation for this game.

Hoddesdon have built a useful side on the foundations of last season's successful St Margaretsbury squad and had the lead after five minutes. But that man Bishop equalised before half time and, following a second Hoddesdon goal, scored again towards the end of normal time. Oyibo came on shortly after and it was his goal after 114 minutes, a shot from the edge of the Hoddesdon penalty area, that settled an entertaining match.

Ware's team was Joe Simmonds, Charlie Kuehn, Jack Mace, Ben Crilley, Jack Fowler (Rod Young 45mins), David Longe-King, Liam Griffin, Jimmy Hartley, Kieran Bishop, Harley Haag (Elliot Bailey 65mins), Murat Karagul (Josh Oyibo 84mins). Subs not used were Paul Cooper, Tom Coulton.

It was the seventh meeting between the clubs in the second round of the county cup with Ware having won five of the previous six games. The first was back on December 23rd 1898 with a 12-1 win for Ware in Hoddesdon, the most recent before this one was also a 3-2 win for Ware at Lowfield on 5th December 2000.

A full report from the Mercury can be found here.

Meanwhile this is how Hoddesdon saw it:-

In an entertaining cup tie in which both sides had periods when they might have sealed a result, it was the visitors, Ware, who eventually captured a deciding third goal, deep into extra time.

This was a local derby played in a good spirit but with no quarter given by either team. It was the Lilywhites who started the brighter, and might easily have built a substantial lead within the first twenty
minutes. They took the lead in the fifth minute when Tommy Wade got the final touch to an excellent Max Mitchell free kick that was aimed at the far post. It was Tommy’s persistence and endeavour that
had won the free kick, and it was his intelligent run that could have earned him a second just three minutes later. Through on goal in the inside left position he beat a man but saw his shot blocked when he looked certain to score.

And then, in the 11th minute, Tommy set up Max Mitchell in the box, who with quick feet beat two men and struck a post from ten yards with the keeper totally beaten.

This intense spell of domination was followed by more action in the next few minutes, and two separate efforts from Brett O’Connor pulled out fine saves from Joe Simmonds in the Ware goal. The second of these came after Brett had received a brilliant cross-field pass from Dan Ferrigno and cut inside his marker before shooting from 15 yards.

Despite their domination, though, the Lilywhites only had one goal to show for their efforts and, as so often happens, the visitors pinched an equaliser against the run of play. A cross from the right found
Kevin Bishop with his back to goal in the box and he spun quickly and fired a low shot under Reece Buck’s diving body.

The game was now much more even with only one more genuine scoring opportunity before half-time. It fell to the Lilywhites’ Glenn Draper who headed wide of the far post from Brett O’Connor’s right-wing

The second half began very much like the first with Dan Ferrigno hitting the top of the Ware crossbar with a good header from Mark Twumasi’s long throw. The game now began to open up and developed into a real end-to-end affair. Half-chances fell to both sides but with fifteen minutes remaining it was the visitors who almost snatched the lead when Rob Young brought a fine save out of Reece Buck, before Josh Obiyo struck the foot of a post from the rebound.

Having almost gone a goal behind, the Lilywhites went straight up the other end and grabbed the lead themselves. Max Mitchell's perfectly placed 30 yard free kick completely fooled the Ware ‘keeper
and sailed inside the near post into the back of the net.

The lead didn’t last long, though. Ware upped their game and put the Lilywhites firmly on the defensive before Bishop popped up the box the end a goalmouth scramble with a crisp strike from ten yards.

Two minutes of added time had been played, with no addition to the score, when Tommy Wade came agonisingly close to nicking a winning goal. Getting behind the Ware defence he was first to a through
ball and knocked it past the advancing keeper only to see the ball roll narrowly wide of the goal.

The first period of extra time belonged almost entirely to the Lilywhites, but despite good efforts from Mark Summers, Jack Bartlett and Mark Twumasi – who struck a post – the scores remained level. The second period went to the visitors who twice came close to scoring before grabbing what turned out to be the winner, four minutes from time. It was the lively Josh Obiyo who delivered the fatal blow from the edge of the area following a corner.

Only moments before, Tommy Wade had almost done likewise when he volleyed Mark Summers’ chip wide of a post, but it wasn’t to be the Lilywhites’ night and they were left knowing that they had given a
very good account of themselves against high-flying Step 4 opposition.

Up your game with easyfundraising

Key moments

Goal Kieran Bishop scores for Ware FC
Goal Kieran Bishop scores for Ware FC
90:00 +24:00
Goal Josh Oyibo scores for Ware FC
Replay game

As it happened

  • Hoddesdon Town
  • Ware FC
  • 0
  • Kieran Bishop Goal 34:00'
  • Jack Fowler Sub Off 45:00'
  • Rod Young Sub On 45:00'
  • Harley Haag Sub Off 65:00'
  • Elliot Bailey Sub On 65:00'
  • Kieran Bishop Goal 81:00'
  • Josh Oyibo Sub On 84:00'
  • Murat Karagul Sub Off 84:00'
  • Josh Oyibo Goal 90:00 +24:00'

Team selection

Simmonds, Joe Simmonds, Joe
Kuehn, Charlie Kuehn, Charlie
Mace, Jack Mace, Jack
Bishop, Kieran Bishop, Kieran
Crilley, Ben Crilley, Ben
Fowler, Jack Fowler, Jack
Longe-King, David Longe-King, David
Hartley, Jimmy Hartley, Jimmy
Haag, Harley Haag, Harley
Karagul, Murat Karagul, Murat
Griffin, Liam Griffin, Liam


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors